Waldorf Grades Teacher Training
Entry every year
NEXT INTAKE JULY 2017
Each year of the 3 year program includes:
- 3 weeks summer intensive in Duncan on Vancouver Island, BC
- 1 week in November (5 day intensive) in North Vancouver, BC
- 1 week in February (5 day intensive) in North Vancouver, BC
- 1 week observation in a Waldorf classroom (Year 1)
- Practicums (Years 2 and 3)
- Local mentorship as well as a Supervising Mentor throughout the Program
On Completion of Program
Students who successfully complete the program will receive a Waldorf Teaching Certificate *
* West Coast Institute programs are approved by the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), the Independent Schools Branch of the BC Ministry of Education, and registered with the Private Training Institutes Branch of the Ministry of Advanced Educaiton in BC (PTIB).
* Students who wish to teach in Waldorf schools in BC must also hold either a provincial teaching certificate or a degree accepted by the Independent Schools Branch of the BC Ministry of Education.
List of courses
:: More details
- The summer session in 2017 begins on the evening of July 2 and continues through to the Friday evening of the last week, July 21. The summer session is held in Duncan on Vancouver Island
- The November session begins on a Tuesday evening around the week of Remembrance Day and continues through the following Sunday evening. These dates vary from year to year. This session is held at the Vancouver Waldorf School in North Vancouver.
- The February session begins on the Sunday evening of the week in which Waldorf schools in the West have their teachers’ conference (the week of Presidents Day in the USA). This session is held at the same location in North Vancouver.
- 5 weeks of course work plus the follow up mentoring meetings is $5500 Cdn. Payments can be made in US$.
- One-time, non-refundable application fee of $100 Cdn/US.
- Archive fees of $10 Cdn/US annually
- Additional costs for required course textbooks and some supplies.
- Tuition fees can be paid by installment one month prior to each session.
- After the payment deadline is past, a late fee of $100 Cdn/US will be charged.
- NSF cheques will be charged $30 Cdn/US.
- Cancellations/withdrawals will be refunded in accordance with the requirements of the PTIB (Private Training Institutes Branch of the Ministry of Advanced Education) of British Columbia.
- The West Coast Institute for Studies in Anthroposophy reserves the right to make changes to fees, policies, regulations and courses when deemed necessary and as permitted by PTIB.
An interview with one of the Institute’s Program Directors, or someone in your local area requested by them to do so, is necessary prior to acceptance. Please complete the process as described below, showing details of any post-secondary diplomas and/or degrees earned or description of life experience since leaving high school.
- Applicants must complete and submit the ‘Waldorf Grades Teacher Training‘ application for admission form.
- Applicants must send a note from a licensed physician which certifies that the applicant is in good health, free from communicable disease, including TB, and fit to undertake training
- Applicants must supply a character reference letter from an employer and one or two from individuals not related to themselves.
- Applicants must submit a brief biography.
- Applicants must submit transcript(s) to indicate level of post-secondary studies
- Applicants must submit a recent photograph.
- Applicants must pay the $100 Cdn/US non-refundable application processing fee payable to ‘West Coast Institute’.
- Applicants must submit a copy of a criminal record check or a current BC Teaching Certificate. The criminal record check can be provided for Canadians by the local police department or, at less cost, from the Department of Justice at www.gov.bc.ca/justice. Any charges involved must be born by the applicant.
All previous debts to the West Coast Institute must be settled prior to admission.
Application Deadline: May 15 each year.
Applications that are received after this date will be considered if there are still places available.
Application forms are available from the West Coast Institute by mail, or they can be downloaded here and printed out.
A non-refundable, application fee of $100 (payable by cheque or money order and in Canadian or US funds) must be submitted with each application for admission, and made payable to the West Coast Institute.
Accommodation & Meals
- In summer, accommodation arrangements in the Duncan area can be made through the Duncan Housing Co-ordinator of the West Coast Institute. (WCI Housing Information)
- For fall and spring, accommodation in homes in North Vancouver are arranged through the North Vancouver Housing Co-ordinator. The usual charge is $35 per night for B & B.
- During training sessions, meals are available on campus. (WCI Meals Form)
- All travel arrangements are to be made by students. (WCI Driving Directions, WCI Travel Directions)
- Students coming from outside Canada should check the status of their medical insurance.
Grades Program Director
Fax: 604-885-6170 (call ahead)