3 years part time
Entry every year
NEXT INTAKE JUNE 30, 2019
Each year of the 3 year program includes:
- 3 weeks summer intensive in Duncan on Vancouver Island, BC.
June 30 to July 19, 2019.
- 1 week in November (5 day intensive) in North Vancouver, BC.
November 12 to 17, 2019.
- 1 week in February (5 day intensive) in North Vancouver, BC.
February 16 to 21, 2020.
- Observation visits
- Practicum visits
- Mentor visits
- Local mentorship with a Supervising Mentor throughout the Program
On Completion of Program
Students who successfully complete the program will receive a Waldorf Teaching Certificate *
* West Coast Institute programs are approved by the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), the Independent Schools Branch of the BC Ministry of Education, and registered with the Private Training Institutes Branch of the Ministry of Advanced Education in BC (PTIB).
* Students who wish to teach in Waldorf schools in BC must also hold either a provincial teaching certificate or a degree accepted by the Independent Schools Branch of the BC Ministry of Education.
List of courses
:: More details
- The summer session in 2019 begins on the evening of June 30 and continues through to the Friday evening of the last week, July 19. The summer session is held at Sunrise Waldorf School in Duncan on Vancouver Island
- The November session begins on a Tuesday evening around the week of Remembrance Day and continues through to the following Sunday lunchtime. These dates vary from year to year. This session is held at the Vancouver Waldorf School in North Vancouver.
- The February session begins on the Sunday evening of the third week in February, in which Waldorf schools in the West have their teachers’ conference (the week of Presidents Day in the USA). This session is held at the same location in North Vancouver.
- 5 weeks of course work plus the follow up mentoring meetings is $5600 Cdn.
- One-time, non-refundable application fee of $100 Cdn.
- Archive fees of $10 Cdn annually
- Additional costs for required course textbooks and some supplies.
- Tuition fees can be paid at $1120 per week one month prior to each session or in monthly installments.
- After the payment deadline is past, a late fee of $100 Cdn will be charged.
- Electronic payments are preferred, always using the link on the website: Interac payments for Canadians and PayPal for International Students.
- Payments should always be made in Canadian dollars.
- NSF cheques will be charged $30 Cdn.
- Cancellations/withdrawals will be refunded in accordance with the requirements of PTIB of British Columbia.
- The West Coast Institute for Studies in Anthroposophy reserves the right to make changes to fees, policies, regulations and courses when deemed necessary and as permitted by PTIB.
An interview with one of the Institute’s Program Directors, or someone in your local area requested by them to do so, is necessary prior to acceptance. Please complete the process as described below, being sure to show details of any post-secondary diplomas and/or degrees earned or description of life experience since leaving high school.
- Applicants must complete and submit the Waldorf Grades Teacher Training online application for admission form and attach the contents noted below.
OR complete the downloadable Waldorf Grades Teacher Training pdf application for admission form.
- Applicants must send a note from a licensed physician which certifies that the applicant is in good health, free from communicable disease, including TB, and fit to undertake training.
- Applicants must submit a brief biography.
- Applicants must submit transcript(s) to indicate level of post-secondary studies.
- Applicants must submit a resumé.
- Applicants must submit a recent photograph.
- Applicants must pay the $100 Cdn non-refundable application processing fee payable to ‘West Coast Institute’.
- Applicants must submit a copy of a criminal record check or a current BC Teaching Certificate. The criminal record check can be provided for Canadians by the local police department or, at less cost, from the Department of Justice at www.gov.bc.ca/justice. Any charges involved must be born by the applicant.
All previous debts to the West Coast Institute must be settled prior to admission.
Application Deadline: May 15 each year. Deadline extended until June 15th, 2019.
- Applications that are received after this date will be considered if there are still places available.
Accommodation & Meals
- In summer, accommodation arrangements in the Duncan area can be made through the Duncan Housing Co-ordinator of the West Coast Institute. The charge is $30 per night per person. (WCI Housing Information)
- For November and February, accommodation in homes in North Vancouver is arranged through the North Vancouver Housing Co-ordinator. The charge is $35 per night per person for B & B; $30 per night for bed only.
- During training sessions, meals are available on campus. (WCI Meals Form)
- All travel arrangements are to be made by students. (WCI Driving Directions, WCI Travel Directions)
- Students coming from outside Canada should check the status of their medical insurance.
Grades Program Director
Fax: 604-885-6170 (call ahead)